Arizona Cultural Academy & College Prep
Mission Statement: The mission of Arizona Cultural Academy is to promote a healthy lifestyle for students, parents and staff which will lead to lifelong maintenance of healthy habits. This mission will be accomplished by the development and implementation of our wellness plan which will incorporate nutrition education, physical education, bonus hour activities and after school sports clubs.
Nutrition Education Goal
School will educate, encourage and support healthy eating by all students of all ages.
Physical Education Goal
School will provide opportunities for students to maintain physical fitness.
School will comply with current USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Other School Related Activities
School will create a total school environment that is conducive to being physically active.
Nutrition Education Guidelines
Goal: School will educate, encourage and support healthy eating by all students of all ages
● School will promote fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy food preparation and health-enhancing nutritional practices.
● Nutrition Education will be part of gym classes for secondary students. Elementary students will receive this instruction in conjunction with the homeroom teacher’s lesson plan.
● The school cafeteria serves as a “Learning Lab” for all students to apply critical thinking skills taught in the classroom. We serve healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks in the cafeteria every day.
● Nutrition Education will involve sharing information with families and the broader community to positively affect students and the health of the community through a monthly newsletter.
● The school will promote enjoyable, developmentally and culturally appropriate participatory activities.
● The school will offer nutrition education at each grade level as a part of a sequential, comprehensive, standards-based program designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to promote and protect their health.
● The staff responsible for nutrition education will be adequately prepared and participate regularly in professional development activities to effectively deliver an accurate nutrition education program as planned.
● Elementary school focus on the “Rethink your Drink” campaign, reducing sugar intake.
● Middle school focuses on “Build a Healthy Plate and Snack”. Make healthy choices for the meal.
● High school focuses on “Read Food Labels”. Monitor calories consumption.
● Monthly National Health Awareness, post on the monthly newsletter and bulletin board.
Physical Activity Guidelines
Goal: School will provide opportunities for students to maintain physical fitness.
● Students have two physical education classes per week.
● School will implement physical activities from adopted curriculums.
● School will encourage classroom teachers to provide short activity breaks between lessons or classes.
● School will provide a daily recess period combined with lunch period.
● School provides opportunities for activity through physical education classes, recess and integration in the curriculum.
● All students will develop an awareness of the benefits of an active lifestyle.
Nutrition Standards Guidelines
Goal: School will comply with current USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
● Vending machines only provide organic, NON-GMO snacks and drinks.
---Food and beverages sold at fundraisers include healthy choices and provide age-appropriate selections for all school levels.
● Halal foods only.
● Promotional activities to encourage physical activity, academic achievement in compliance with local guidelines.
● Promotional activities are connected to healthy lifestyles.
Other School-Based Activities Guidelines
Goal: School will create a total school environment that is conducive to being physically active.
● After-school programs are sports-based and encourage physical activity and promote healthy habits.
● The school will schedule recess for students in conjunction with lunch.
● School’s monthly newsletter will provide information about healthy eating and the benefits of physical activity.
Revised on September 7, 2020